Northern California Children’s Chorus is a compilation of several choirs ranging from early experiences to high school women. We offer choirs, classes, workshops, and summer camps.
The Choirs are different levels based on age and ability. A detailed description of each group is below. Tuition is for the school year (pro-rated for January admission).
And this year, Northern California Children’s Chorus is making some changes! Starting in August of 2017:
Primo Voce Grades 2 – 4 Thursdays 4:15 – 5:45pm East Roseville
Annual Tuition $795
Intermezzo Grades 4 – 7 Mondays 4:15 – 5:45pm East Roseville
Annual Tuition $795
Bel Canto Grades 5 – 9 Tuesdays 4:15 – 6:15pm East Roseville
Annual Tuition $995 (includes week-end away retreat and Saturday theory workshops)
Bella Voce High School Women Mondays 6:30 – 8:15pm Granite Bay
Annual Tuition $920 (includes week-end away retreat and Saturday theory workshops)
Mini Glee K – 2nd 6 week segments, TBD
Primo Voce (boys and girls grades 2 – 4)
The primary goal for our youngest NCCC singers is that they enjoy their experience of learning to sing. Through singing, activities, and learning together our Primo Voce members will:
- Experience singing in unison
- Learn good vocal habits with correct breathing, tone placement, and good singing posture.
- Learn excellent rehearsal techniques of listening, sitting attentively, and focusing on the activity being taught.
- Learn basic music theory skills as they prepare for the next level in the NCCC program. This will include reading rhythm patterns, writing rhythm patterns, reading melodic lines, and learning about the expressive elements of music.
- Perform for audiences in NCCC concerts, at senior centers, and for each other.
- Sing a varied repertoire of folk songs from around the world as well as sacred music, classical music, contemporary, and pop songs.
Primo Voce meets weekly, August through May
Thursdays, 4:15 – 5:45pm
Intermezzo (boys and girls grades 4 – 7)
Intermezzo is our new choir this season. It is designed to be a stepping stone between the training level and the advanced levels. Singers will work their way from Primo Voce, through Intermezzo to our advanced children’s chorus, Bel Canto.
Goals for Intermezzo:
- Focus on vocal production, breathing, pure head tone for Bel canto singing.
- Music theory training includes sight reading skills, rhythm performance, and musical terminology. The singers will learn music reading skills primarily through the Kodaly system. Each singer will have a music theory book, “A Young Singer’s Journey” with the goal of completing two levels of music theory in a year.
- Learn excellent rehearsal techniques, including being responsible for their own music folder and music theory book, caring for their music, listening attentively, sitting with the correct posture all with a positive attitude.
- Perform repertoire from a variety of styles such as art songs, contemporary music, folk songs, sacred music as well as songs performed in Italian and German.
- Receive excellent vocal training through exercises, singing of rounds and art songs. Each singer will focus on developing a free tone with proper phonation, correct breath control and pure resonance through the use of uniform vowels and proper projection.
- Become independent singers as they master the skills of singing in several parts in large and small groups increasing their skills to sing two and three part music.
- Gain the skills of being an excellent performer. Those skills include, walking on and off stage in a professional manner, having all music memorized, looking like an excellent performer with the proper choir attire, and keeping eyes on the director while performing!
- Enrich their lives as they learn, perform and begin to understand the art of performing excellent choral music.
- Perform in the NCCC produced concerts as well as needed to supplement the older choirs when singing the National Anthem.
Intermezzo meets weekly, May through August
Bel Canto (boys and girls grades 5 – 9)
A continuation of Intermezzo, singers must be able to hold their own part in two-part harmony, sight-read at level 2, and have completed and pass Level 2 theory skills before entering Bel Canto.
Skills taught include all of the above plus:
- Proceed through Level 6 of music theory
- Sing in three and four part harmony
- Skills to sing on the professional stage
Performance opportunities include:
- Singing in small groups during rehearsals to strengthen independent singing
- Twice yearly NCCC produced concerts
- Perform national anthem at professional sporting events
- Perform with other local adult choruses and orchestras as needed
- Touring nationally and internationally
Bel Canto meets weekley, May through August
Bella Voce (high school women)
Growing with the NCCC through the 8th grade, many of our singers desire to keep on singing. The singers will:
- Develop their beautiful children’s voices into the voices of young women.
- Focus on sight reading and music theory skills to prepare singers for college level participation in music.
- Challenge singers with 21st century styles of jazz, classical, and contemporary esoteric choral music as well as Broadway.
- Give back to the community with concerts for community organizations
Bella Voce meets weekly, May through August
Mini Glee (boys and girls grades K – 2)
Many of our singers in the older choirs have began in Mini-Glee several years ago. Their parents have shared that Mini-Glee was the perfect introduction to music through song.
- For an hour each week, we explore our singing voices, do activities to learn to read music, and enjoy games to become confident performers.
- No audition required
- A great opportunity for children to see how much they love to sing and to experience a different kind of team that works together.
- Singers will perform for their families at our final session as well as at the Northern California Children’s Chorus concerts
Mini Glee meets weekly in segments of 6 weeks
dates and times TBD